Monday, March 12, 2012

What if you knew you were going to die? Article by Dr Robert Anthony



"In the last analysis, it is our conception of death which decides
our answers to all the questions that life puts to us."
- Dag Hammarskjold


How would your life be different if you didn't fear death? Oh you
don't fear death? Ok, but do you truly accept it? The U.S. culture
is not very good at accepting death. We really prefer to just not
even talk about it thank you.

Let's talk about it anyway. There are really only two views.

Life is only a physical experience and once you're dead that's it
so there's nothing to worry about. (Let's leave your loved
ones out of the picture for now and deal only with you)

OR

Life is a physical and spiritual experience and the spirit
continues on in some form after the body dies. You may take a
traditional heaven outlook on this or one of reincarnation or a
more pantheistic outlook. It doesn't matter - the point is you
believe that the life of spirit, soul, energy goes on.

I cleave to the first law of thermodynamics that says that energy
cannot be created nor destroyed and I view life as both a physical
and spiritual experience so I'm going with the belief that we go
on. How that looks I'm not exactly sure, but it doesn't really
matter. I find it comforting and interesting. I like to spin
possibilities. And if I'm wrong (I don't really think I'm wrong)
and I'm just totally dead when I die, I won't know the difference
anyway, so it doesn't matter.

No matter what you believe, there truly is no reason to fear the
inevitable. I'm sure you've all heard the adage that "if you are
afraid to die, you are afraid to live." Perhaps that even sounds
trite to you. But have you really thought about it? How differently
would you live if you truly were not afraid to die? Aren't all
fears in some way ultimately linked to a fear of death? Imagine the
increased freedom that you would enjoy if you accepted death as
part of a cycle, as a passage to a new form of existence, a new
frontier.

I'm always amused by the question, "What would you do if you knew
you were going to die?" Duh. Yes, I know that the question refers
to knowing the timing. But, timing aside, you do know you're going
to die so use that knowledge to really live in the meantime. How
annoying to get to the end and feel like you never dared to be
your true self, that you never lived loud and hearty, that you
played it safe only to end up dead anyway. I said before that I
thought "I can't" were the two most limiting words that we can say,
but maybe "someday" is right up there with them.

How would your life be different today if you truly accepted death?

Today will bring you a new awareness, a lesson or a manifestation
that you are making progress - IF YOU LOOK FOR IT! No matter how
large or small, please record it in your Evidence Journal. It will
only take a few moments and will AUTOMATICALLY put you in the Flow.

Truly Caring for Your Success!

Dr. Robert Anthony

No comments:

God

  God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,  The courage to  change the things I can, The wisdom to know the differen...